An aromatic herb from the parsley family, fennel seeds has been an essential in most cuisines like the Mediterranean and Indian. The herb apart from being a culinary delight also has medicinal and health benefits which are phenomenal.
Few of the important uses of fennel seeds, which makes it a must- have kitchen essentials, are mentioned below-
- Fennel seeds are an excellent antioxidant which helps curb free radicals and prevent many diseases from reaching a degenerative form.
- It provides dietary fiber which is an essential requirement of the body and provides energy.
- A number of oil compounds are present in the seeds which assist the process of digestion in the body.
- It is helpful in enhancing the production of Red blood cells in the body. Copper which is found in the seeds is helpful in production of red blood cells and cures anemia.
- Zinc found in the fennel seeds helps in growth, development and repair of the body.
- Fennel seeds juice is extremely nutritious as it contains Vitamin A, B, C &E and is also rich in magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, cobalt, phosphorous, sodium and silicon.
- Fennel juice has a calming effect on the intestines and is helpful in reducing bloating and intestinal cramps. It is widely used as an antacid too.
- Fennel juice is also very soothing for the eyes. The flavonoids present in the juice are helpful in preventing oxidative stress.
- Its juice is helpful for those women who are facing problem arising out of menopause or pre- menstrual problems. It is helpful for lactating mothers as drinking its juice increases the production of breast milk. Folates which are helpful in preventing birth defects in unborn babies are also found in it.
- Fennel juice also helps release endorphins into the blood stream which helps relieve depression and stress.
- Fennel oil works as an antiseptic. It is helpful in preventing post- surgical infections as well.
- The fennel bulb is rich source of cineole, which is an active agent that potentially cures nasal blockages. That’s why it’s a boon for people suffering from asthma, bronchitis or congestion.
- Fennel is also a boon for the hair and skin because of the several essential nutrients it contains essential for their growth and healthy skin.